3. Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play: Nathan Lane
The revival of Tony Kushner’s Angels in America opened on March 25, 2018 to rave reviews! This is the 25th anniversary production of this two-part, seven-and-a-half-hour multi-award-winning masterwork starring Andrew Garfield and Nathan Lane in career-high performances.
- “FLAT OUT FABULOUS! THE PRODUCTION THAT CONFIRMS ITS PLACE IN THE PANTHEON OF DRAMAS THAT STRETCH TOWARD THE HEAVENS. No work of theatre has quite matched its reach.” –The New York Times
- “THERE IS NO DENYING ITS THEATRICAL BRILLIANCE, LITERARY AMBITION AND CULTURAL RELEVANCE. It is often just as romantic and hilarious as it is philosophic and intense.” -AM New York
- “PREPARE TO BE SHATTERED AND REBUILT.” –The Hollywood Reporter
- “TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AFTER ITS TONY-AND PULITZER-WINNING FIRST BROADWAY RUN, THE SCOPE AND RICHNESS OF THE SEVEN-HOUR, TWO-PART SAGA REMAIN AS IMPRESSIVE AS EVER.” –Daily News
- “EACH CHARACTER, SO PRECISELY PLAYED, IS WORTHY OF INVESTMENT. This is seven and a half hours of luxurious dramatic immersion, and in no way arid or plodding.” –The Daily Beast,
- “BRILLIANTLY ENTERTAINING. I’M HERE TO TELL YOU THAT YOUR INVESTMENT WILL COME BACK TO YOU IN THE CAPITAL GAINS OF ENLIGHTENMENT AND SUBLIME ENTERTAINMENT. Director Marianne Elliott’s riveting production, a transfer from London’s National Theatre, is the kind of bracing total immersion in
fierce, funny drama that is nutrition for both intellect and soul.” –The Washington Post
- “‘ANGELS IN AMERICA’ RETURNS TO BROADWAY, TIMELY AND TRIUMPHANT.” –Entertainment Weekly
- “5 Stars. THIS IS A PLAY THAT BREAKS AND FILLS YOUR HEART; IT INSPIRES YOU AS IT TAKES YOUR BREATH AWAY.” –TimeOut New York
Returning to Broadway for the first time since its now-legendary original production opened in 1993, this spectacular new staging of Part One of Angels in America, Millennium Approaches, and of Part Two, Perestroika, directed by Marianne Elliott, had its world premiere earlier this year in a sold-out run at the London National Theatre, where it became the fastest selling show in the organization’s history.
Starring multi-Tony Award winner Nathan Lane and Academy Award and Tony nominee Andrew Garfield, the cast of Angels in America features fellow original National Theatre cast members Susan Brown, Denise Gough, Amanda Lawrence, James McArdle, and Nathan Steware-Jarrett. Multi-Tony winner Marianne Elliott (War Horse) directs.
As politically incendiary as any play in the American canon, Angels in America also manages to be hilariously irreverent and heartbreakingly humane. It is also astonishingly relevant, speaking every bit as urgently to our anxious times as it did to the early ’90s. Tackling Reaganism, McCarthyism, immigration, religion, climate change, and AIDS against the backdrop of New York City in the mid-1980s, no contemporary drama has succeeded so indisputably with so ambitious a scope.
Angels in America won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, seven Tony Awards, the New York Drama Critics Circle Award, and the Evening Standard Award for Best New Play.
Performances at the Neil Simon Theatre, 250 West 52nd Street, New York City.
For more information and to purchase tickets, please click here.